This guide I hope will help others and may fill in some gaps if using other accelerators that have the MapRom function. This guide however for my setup which is an Amiga 500 Plus, with 2mb of chipram with an ACA500Plus. I have also married this up with an ACA1221EC to give me a bit more speed (this has a 68020 processor) however it is not required for AmigaOS 3.1.4 or needed for this guide.
The ACA500 Plus like the ACA1221EC, ACA1233 and many of the previous ACA cards, in fact many classic Amiga accelerators have this function. The MapRom feature allows you to load a Kickstart Rom that is beyond what is physically installed in your Amiga. For example of you have a 3.0 Rom, you can use the MapRom feature to load a 3.1 Rom instead without changing your roms!
The ACA500 Plus has 8 slots and supports 256kb, 512kb and 1MByte roms. Each slot is 256kb, so a 512kb image will occupy two slots (2 x 256kb = 512kb), and must start at an odd slot number. 1MByte images must start at slot numbers 1 or 5. The 3.1.4 kickstart rom is 512kb.
Of course you could purchase an EPROM burning service that will burn the 3.1.4 kickstart rom to an EPROM chip but where is the fun in that?? If you have an ACA Accelerator you can use the ACAMapROM software to map a rom also.
For this guide you will need:
- An ACA500 Plus, of course ;-).
- Have purchased AmigaOS 3.1.4, you can do so from Hyperion here.
- Downloaded 3.1.4 Rom file ‘kick.a500.46.143’ (this is part of the AmigaOS purchase).
- A CF card (any size) to be used in an AUX slot, mine is named ‘USB’.
- A workbench boot disk (I’m using a 3.0 Workbench disk).
First Steps – ACA500 Plus updates
I do recommended that you upgrade your ACA500Plus Menu System (currently v0.127 Oct 2018). To do this:
- Download the update from iComp here Menu System v0.127
- Once downloaded, unzip it on to a CF card, one that can be used in the AUX slot of your ACA500Plus.
- Once complete Insert the CF card into the AUX slot of your ACA500Plus, then launch the ACA500Plus menu.
- Press F8 and then F to launch the flash updater.
- The Amiga will boot into Shell and read the ADF file on the AUX CF card.
- Follow the instructions on screen to install the update.
*The unpacked file is an ADF image that can also be written to a floppy disk. You will only need to do this if the flash ROM has been garbled – in that case, the bootable floppy will serve as a recovery-disk.
Using MapRom to map the 3.1.4 Rom on the ACA500Plus.
- On your PC or Mac copy the kick.a500.46.143 rom to your AUX Cf Card and plug in to to your ACA500Plus.
- Switch on your Amiga and initiate the ACA500 Plus boot menu.
- Press F10 to bring up the Expert menu
- Press 9 to switch on aca.resource (this provides a few shell commands as resident commands avilable via Shell aka Command Line or CLI).
- Press Return to boot from your Workbench disk, once loaded, open up AmigaShell
- Type in the drive name of your AUX CF Card, mine is called ‘USB‘ then press return (this changes to that drive)
- Type acaflashrom PROGRAM 3 512 kick.a500.46.143 and press return (The meaning of this command: 3 means slot 3, 512 means its 512k in size).
- Once complete remove the workbench disk, reboot the Amiga and again initiate the ACA500Plus boot menu.
- Press F10 to bring up the Expert menu.
- Press K and repeat until you see User Rom #3 (512k 46.143).
- Press Return to activate the configuration and reboot and if all good you will see the new Kickstart screen in all its glory!
Next post will be installing AmigaOS 3.1.4 on the ACA500Plus – Out soon!
End 1st January 2019 – You can get a fantastic bundle from Groupees for £4.10 which also includes:
Heroes of Gorluth
Tales of Gorluth II
Remute – Limited
This is what you get within Amiga Forever v7.
Have you ever wondered what Workbench 1.0 looked like, or how the most influential personal computing magazine of the 1980s introduced the Amiga to the world? Would you (or a colleague, or your children) be surprised if you saw your PC booting as an Amiga, instead of Windows?
The Plus Edition in brief:
Includes all features mentioned on this site, except for the videos (which are on the 3 DVDs included with the Premium Edition) Includes Amiga Forever Game Pack I (more than 50 games) Delivered as an easy-to-use downloadable installer for Windows After installation on a Windows system, it is possible to create (via Build Image, in the Tools menu) a DVD ISO image which includes run-from-DVD, KX Light boot-from-DVD and other cross-platform content
The Plus Edition also includes the following items which are not part of the Value Edition:
More than 300 MB of preinstalled games and demoscene productions OS ROM file versions v. 0.7, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.04, 2.05 (Workbench 2.1 uses the 2.0x ROMs), 3.1 and 3.X OS disk images (ADF files) v. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.1 and 3.1 Preinstalled Workbench 3.X environment, including dozens of award-winning software packages and other add-ons Amiga 1000, A590 and A4091 boot ROMs CDTV extended ROM (CDTV uses normal 1.3 boot ROM) CD³² ROM and extended ROM Amiga Forever Boot Floppy Disk image
Would you like to see the evolution of the Amiga Workbench from version 1.0 up to 3.X (in different styles, too), through all intermediate versions ever released? With Amiga Forever Plus Edition you can. The ROM and operating system files include all publicly released versions (except for those that were only meant to run only in combination with a specific piece of hardware which is not required in the hardware emulation, such as the A2024 monitor).
The CDTV and CD³² ROMs can be used to play CDTV and CD³² games, even booting directly from a game CD.
If you decide to burn the Plus Edition DVD, which you can do at any time, you can enjoy these additional features:
Portable environment to run the Amiga emulation and OS from DVD or USB devices (on Windows systems) Ability to boot a PC from the Amiga Forever Plus Edition DVD (no operating system required, as per El Torito specification) Cross-platform components can be used on the most popular computing platforms (Mac OS, GNU/Linux, etc.)
Unlock and register with the provided license key.
PLEASE NOTE: This special bundle-version is not eligible for free upgrades, but it will give a discount on the upcoming version 8 of Amiga Forever. http://www.amigaforever.com/shop/?ref=af-previous
get yours here: https://groupees.com/remutexx5
Amigajay released the CD32 Amiga Christmas Crackers originally in 2016 however last month the CD32 Anthology Set #1 was released and included the CD32 Amiga Christmas Crackers collection v1.1 with 3 additions! The original collection included:
6 Commercial Games
23 PD Games
7 Game Demos
1 Music Disk
Version 1.1 now includes:
PD game added – Lumberjack Christmas
PD game added – Merry Amiga Christmas 2017
Game demo added – Theme Park Xmas
You can download the ISO here